Summer Advancement Programs (9th~12th)
Summer is a crucial time that can mean learning loss or tremendous learning advancement for students in all grade levels. This is especially crucial in the high school grade levels that count for college. That's why our goal is to help our students reach their highest potential for the next school year. PSA's programs help build students' academic knowledge and solidify learning skills by reviewing, progressing and challenging students in core subjects. Instead of using a "one-shoe-fits-all" standardized approach, we work to customize and adjust our curriculum for each and every one of our students. From Academic Advancement to PSA Enrichment, each of our programs are designed to inspire and support our students. We focus on the entire academic experience, helping students to build the exact academic skills, strong study habits, and positive attitudes they need to succeed in high school, college and beyond.
High School Level Writing
Nearly one-third of all high school students do not know how to write a decent five-paragraph essay, but writing will carry the most weight in determining high school English and history grades. It is also a main differentiating factor in college applications. That’s why PSA provides personalized, comprehensive to help students write thoughtfully and effectively, and clearly. We provide a very structured yet personalized approach to writing that is not currently offered at your regular school. Through our writing program, your student will learn to write, think, communicate and learn better.
- Six-step writing process
- Essay genres: descriptive, persuasive, expository, narrative, comparison, etc.
- Composition techniques: thesis statements, topic sentences, transitions
- Effectively brainstorming and outlining ideas
- Developing facts, details, and commentary for supporting paragraphs
- Improving diction and sentence structure
- Writing under pressure (timed writing)
- Finding your own literary voice to write with style and confidence
The PSA Approach
- Individualized lesson plan
- Detailed explanations
- Re-teaching, reviewing, and challenging critical thinking
- Guided practice; supplemental exercises customized
- Analyzing text to think logically through arguments
- Collaborative brainstorming and writing with the instructor